University of Minnesota
myU OneStop

The Humphrey School of Public Affairs is the University of
Minnesota's school of policy and planning.

Questions about Financial Aid

How you will finance your education is an important consideration. Read below to learn more about the financial aid process.

What types of financial assistance are available?
The Humphrey School offers merit-based scholarships, fellowships, and graduate assistantships. MDP, MPA, MPP, MS-STEP, and MURP applicants must apply by January 15 to be considered for merit-based aid. The Graduate School has information about other scholarship and fellowship opportunities.

How do I apply for need-based financial aid?
Graduate students are not eligible for federal grants but are eligible for federal loans. To qualify for need-based aid, fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. For more information about other financial aid options, call (612) 624-111 or 1-(800) 400-8636 or send an e-mail to

What are the benefits of a graduate assistantship?
Benefits include a competitive wage, tuition benefits (includes a non-resident tuition waiver for out-of-state students), partial health coverage, and research or other valuable experience. Visit for a more complete list of the benefits that accompany a graduate assistantship.

Is it easy to get a graduate assistantship?
Assistantships are very competitive. It is best not to plan on having an assistantship to fund your education, especially in your first year. If you look for an assistantship, keep in mind that you can apply to any assistantship at the University of Minnesota, including those not associated with the Humphrey School.

Are there loans available for certificate students?
SELF loans are available for certificate students. The SELF loan is administered by the MN Department of Education. Students must be registered for 3 or more credits to be eligible. The loan is not based on income. For more information, visit: SELF Loan.