University of Minnesota
myU OneStop

The Humphrey School of Public Affairs is the University of
Minnesota's school of policy and planning.

Resources for International Students

If you are not a U.S. citizen, your may need to meet different requirements or qualify for special programs at the University.

Am I required to take the TOEFL or IELTS?
Yes, if you are an international student whose native language is not English.

If you earned your bachelor’s degree from or completed two or more semesters at an English-speaking institution within the past 24 months (or have lived in the U.S. continuously since completing a degree or two or more semesters of coursework), you may be exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement. The Humphrey School requires a minimum score of 100 on the TOEFL iBT and 7 on the IELTS for consideration for admission.

When should I take the TOEFL or IELTS?
Please plan to take the TOEFL/IELTS at least four weeks before the application deadline by which you are applying.

Is financial aid available for international applicants?
Yes, international applicants are eligible for merit-based aid. See our site on financial aid for incoming students for more information.